SP NETBALL SKILLS
I cannot stress enough how important it is to have great hand eye coordination to help your netball game. There are plenty of different drills you can do that will help this, and the positive is many of these can be done by yourself- without having to rely on teammates, friends and others to complete the training.
Give these a go:
Ball Drill 1
- Grab a netball
- Have your legs a little wider apart then normal
- Complete figure 8’s around your legs (make the ball go around each leg in a figure 8)
- As you get better try not to look at the ball, and go faster
- Then change direction and go the other way
- Challenge yourself to see how many “8’s” you can do without dropping the ball
Ball Drill 2
- Grab a tennis ball- why you ask? If you can catch a tennis ball- when you go back to a netball it will be easy!
- Grab a partner for this one if you can, or if not a brick wall will help!
- Throw the ball to one another (or against the wall), change the position that you throw the ball, within arms reach but to either side of the body,
- Start by catching with 2 hands and then advance to one handed catches- but make sure you catch with the hand on the side the ball is thrown, don’t cross your arm over your boy to catch a ball, remember to practice both hands.
- Challenge one another and make it faster and harder passes.
Ball Drill 3
- Grab a netball
- Have your legs a little wider apart then normal.
- Have the ball in front of you in two hands
- Bounce the ball through your legs
- Once you release the ball quickly move your hands behind your legs and bottom to catch the ball on the other side.
- To make it harder try and stand completely upright and trust your hands are strong enough to catch the ball without looking at it!
These are just simple ball drills you can do alone, but make sure you challenge yourself, if it gets easier, make sure you then challenge yourself and make it harder, by closing your eyes, going faster or the like.
The more you practice the easier it gets- so keep practicing- it will help your netball game!