SP Netball Footwork drills
I cannot stress enough how important it is to have great footwork to help your netball game. There are plenty of different drills you can do that will help this, and the positive is many of these can be done by yourself- without having to rely on teammates, friends and others to complete the training.
Give these a go:
Footwork Drill 1
- Grab a couple of markers.
- Put them in a triangle, a few meters apart.
- Run to one cone, and then slide back to the start cone, then repeat to the other side. (If you have a teammate, you can add a ball into each run forward)
- Work on also keeping your eyes up, so you are not looking down at your feet!
- Repeat 3 times each side, have a little rest and do another set!
Footwork Drill 2
- Keep the cone sin your triangle shape form Footwork Drill 1
- Run to one cone, push off outside foot, change direction and run to the 3rd
- From the 3rd cone, change direction again and change into a slide motion back to the start cone. (you can add a ball in to this drill if you have a teammate training with you)
- Work on keeping your eyes up, so you are not looking down at your feet, but instead where the ball and passer is.
- Repeat each way 3 times, have a little rest and then repeat!
These are just simple footwork drills you can do alone, but make sure you challenge yourself, if it gets easier, make sure you then challenge yourself and make it harder by going faster, making the drill longer, or more reps.
The more you practice the easier it gets- so keep practicing- it will help your netball game!